Monday, July 18, 2011

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Today was my hub's first day off of the week, so as always it is a busy one.  We tend to think that we need to get everything done in one day because we never know when or if he's going to get called into work.

Started off the day having no idea what to have for breakfast considering that I hadn't been to the store in a week and so we are very low on food.  We did have a TON of eggs and so Dustin made us some eggs with ham and cheese.  I like to have lots of fruit with breakfast, but after looking in the fridge I only saw almost bad grapes and green apples.  Apples are really more of a snack for me so I looked around further to see if there was anything else.  Then I remembered that I had freeze dried strawberries in our food storage.  I thought they would make a good yogurt topper right?  Wrong.  I followed the directions on the can and they were horrible.  Had to bag that idea and make time for a trip to Sam's Club (no Costco in GJ, BOO!).
Lesson learned that freeze dried strawberries will have to wait to be eaten until we are jobless and REALLY can't afford food.

The Good
I saw Harry Potter this afternoon and it was amazing!  What a great way to end the series.  I wanted to watch it immediately after it was finished.

We cashed in our change at Coin star and had $69 in change!  Not bad for people who hardly ever have cash on hand, right?!  Then I found a Regal Cinema's gift card for $10, a free movie ticket from the rewards card (couldn't use this time, the movie was too new), a mail in rebate MasterCard for $25, and two free Chik-fil-a sandwich vouchers that I got over a year ago that don't expire!  Sheesh, I got free stuff coming out my ears!

The Bad
Went to Sam's club and it was lunch time.  Got a hot dog and the hub's and I shared a Cherry Coke (damn you cherry coke!).  We almost went to Taco Bell on the way home to get a Burrito Supreme for $.99, but we made it home without.
Then my husband wanted me to make cookies because he was hankering for something sweet.  I promptly told him "no", more like yelled it at him.

The Ugly
In the midst of all the free stuff that we found laying around, they also gave us a free popcorn at the movie for using our rewards card.  FREE!  I could have totally bypassed it but it. was. free.  My will power went out the window and we got some popcorn.  Luckily I had packed my nalgene of ice water so that I wasn't tempted to get another carbonated drink.  I also had apples and carrots. Our friends had met us at the movies and they brought in a purse full of chocolate.  Dustin and I shared the top half of the popcorn and then traded it for 2 mini Almond Joys (for me) and a Reese's Peanut Butter cup (for Dustin).

Oh, and I didn't go to the gym.  Great start to the week of goals that I set for myself.  I will have to try a whole lot harder tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie! The Harry Potter ending was super great.

    It sounds like your husband might end up being a friendly food sabotagor, like mine often is. I try to get husband and the kids a treat that isn't my favorite so it isn't driving me nuts. I remind my husband that it is my choice about what I want to eat or not eat, and to not thwart my good efforts.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marion, my husband has no concept of healthy lifestyle. I'm trying to teach him, but yes, we are both completely enablers to each other (we're working on that). Unfortunately, we both know exactly what to say to get each other to cave. At least I ate my baggie of carrots that I brought!

    ReplyDelete