Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Five a Day Challenge!

Sweat it Out:
30 Minutes Elliptical Intervals
30 Minutes Weights, Legs

Man, my arms are stiff from yesterday!  I love that feeling!  My legs feel like Jello so hopefully they will be stiff tomorrow as well.  That's how I know I got a good workout.

Back in the day when I first lost 86 pounds, I was a recovering Diet Coke addict.  My dad loved it so much there was a fridge in our garage dedicated to Diet Coke 2 liters.  I had a nasty habit of swigging it straight from the bottle (drove my family nuts!).  When I started working out and doing Weight Watchers I challenged myself to start drinking more water.  I NEVER drank water and it was going to be a challenge.  I came up with a plan that after one of the 2 liters of Diet Coke was empty I would fill it with water and continue swigging it from the fridge (I'm sure the swigging just became a habit).  I didn't even notice a change and felt better than having all of that carbonation.  Plus, I lost 15 pounds in two weeks!  All form stopping carbonation (and eating better).

This was the one habit that I continued on with even though I was continually gaining weight.  Lately I've been drinking only about 64 oz. a day, if that.  So I've decided that I am going to challenge myself with my water drinking.  I've heard that you should be drinking half your weight in ounces of water a day.  That would mean that I would have to drink about 135 ounces of water a day!  That seems INSANE! But not so much that I won't try it!  My Nalgene bottle holds 32 ounces, and I am challenging myself to drink 5 a day, that's 140 ounces.

I definitely don't think that I'm going to lose 15 pounds like I did the first time around.  I don't really drink a whole lot of carbonation anymore anyway and come on, I'm like 12 years older, things are slowin' down.  But I have been doing it for the last 2 days, and I already feel better.  I do have to pee every five minutes, but I will just have to deal with that.

Do you have a water quota throughout the day?
Do you feel better when you've drank a lot of water consistently?

Weigh-in tomorrow!  Fingers crossed that it's a good number!

1 comment:

  1. My rant on liquids: I really dislike Diet Coke. I gave up carbonated drinks about 10 years ago when I realized how bad they were for my bones and basically my health. However, I must admit that in the summer when I’m hot and dying of thirst, I occasionally grab a fast diet drink at a convenience store. I hate drinking water! Do I have a quota? No! I just plain have to force myself to drink water and every drop that goes down is a blessing -- more or less.

    ReplyDelete